Wednesday 16 February 2011

END OF MODULE SELF EVALUATION

I have found this module really inspiring in terms of discovering how much it  is possible to learn about something that a few weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about! For me, it was particularly nice to be on the same level as the rest of the group; no one knew any more about motion graphic than the next. I have actually really enjoyed the module,  especially the "Top Ten" brief.

SKILLS ACQUIRED/DEVELOPED

This module has been about learning a lot of new skills. The software is the obvious one. I really like the way that after effects functions as it reminds me of indesign which I have come to really like using. I feel that I have really got to grips with animating assets to reflect my intentions. I can see my personal improvement in the way that I can now create a sequence with ease and some speed compared to how I was at the start. I dont think that I experimented with effects enough. I understand the importance of understanding the basics more than knowing how to operate the effects, however there are situations where the right effect could potentially save you time. If I were to continue with motion graphics then I would certainly branch into this area more than I have so far. I did experiment with 3d, cameras and lights, however it just wasn't relevent for what I was trying to achieve. Again, I would explore them more if I were to work with motion graphics again.
 For me, the main skill developed was visualising my ideas for motion and screen, and then learning to succesfully communicate them through story boards and then motion graphics. I think it's almost like working from 2d to 3d and trying to bridge the gap in communication in that sense. I loved the storyboard element of this way of working. I found it a skill that I felt I picked up quite naturally as I didn't feel that I struggled trying to communicate my ideas. I think that my storyboards are quite succesful throughout this project, whether they were rushed where I was desperately trying to get an idea out or more polished, clear ones. I think that they accurately communicate what I am trying to achieve and could be translated by another person quite clearly. 
I also definitely made some progress in developing my packaging design skills. I worked really hard on the first module, but was really dissapointed with my final packaging pieces for the "What Is Good?" brief. Therefore, I wanted to really make a go of the packaging for the DVD. I began working on the packaging a lot earlier than I did on the last project so as too allow for maximum experimentation and room for error. I really thought through the design, made lots of mock ups to make sure the functionality was good and to help me visualise the graphics for it more thoughtfully. I also tested out different techniques, stocks, colours, tried foiling and  in tern, enormously developed my crafting skills (which were poor to say the least before this module!) 

STRENGTHS :

In relation to the"Top Ten" breif,  I think that the visual aesthetic of my work is strong. I think that it suits both the target audience and the theme well and does so after a lot of development and re-evaluation. I think that the crits proved very valuable to me in terms of helping to reassert my own uncertainties with my work and helping me to overcome issues. 
I definitely think that my storyboards were my main strength within this module. I think that these communicate my ideas succesfully. I think that this is something I would definitely like to continue my interst in. Perhaps not even just storyboarding for animation. 
Also, for once I think my packaging is quite strong, to the point where I feel quite confident and happy about putting it in my pdf portfolio. I think that it's success is down to more thoughfull design and an effort to interact with the design more. I think that my mock up is succesful becasue of good time management, patience, practice, and also primary research. I spoke to as many people as possible to get advice on the best ways to do things.
Another strength that I think I have continued and improved on from the last module is my relationship and communication with my design practice blog. I think I have blogged every hour of work without fail and evaluated  constructively. I actually enjoy the realtionship I have with my blog, and feel that it benefits me enormously in terms of getting my ideas straight and reflecting on my work before moving on. All I can do to is keep this realtionship strong with the next module.

WEAKNESSES :

Looking at my motion graphics from a more technical point of view, I think that I obvisouly still have a lot to learn. Despite endless tweaking, I think that the pace of my idents and title sequence  is not 100% and there are still a few changes that could be made to ease transition between keyframes. It seems the more I tamper, the more flaws I see. I can only address this issue by spending more time with the software. I would like to revisit my seqences with fresh eyes in a week or so and see how I feel about them then. 
Time managment has always been an issue for me. I know that I put in the hours, it's just where I put them that is the issue! I think the fact that the outcome of the "Top Ten" project in particular proves that my time managment skills have improved. The only week I fell flat was when I spent two days on an image module brief that I was particularly over excited about. I can see with hindsight how ridiculous that was, but on the other hand I developed my Illustrator and pattern making skills in a way that I thiink was valuble, as well as producing some of my most succesfull work so far. I will learn from this mistake, and I realise that in the industry this approach could be fatal, but I don't regret that particular decision on this occasion. In terms of improving my time management skills, I think that to some extent this will happen organically as it has since I begun the course. However a particular technique I have recently picked up is not only writing the list of things I want to get done or have to do, but also putting a time frame on them and then ordering them in a heirarchy of most important to least important as a reflection of both deadline and how much time is required. This is a skill that I have only just been able to use, becaue only now do I feel that I have a good idea of how long things potentially take.


Last module evaluation I stated five things that I will do differently in ougd202 :



1)Explore a broader range of stocks earlier on in the design process.
2)Design throughout the entirety of the project, rather than starting halfway through.
3)Explore a broader range of packaging solutions before making descisions.
4)Be more adventurous with the term 'packaging' - it doesn't mean 'nets'.
5)Don't make irational descisions based on fear; the possibilites are almost endless if you manage your time well and use what you have to its full potential.


I think that it is fair to say that despite this being a screen based module I have succesfully met the improvements I intened to make with my dvd packaging. For the next module my main areas of improvement will be :

- Time management - Be more thourough and realistic when planning my time.
Visual research - I have explored a vast quantity of practical research in terms of software, crafting and practice, but I perhaps could have looked at some more motion graphics than I did.

I think that this module I have learnt a huge amount about myself as a designer and what I enjoy. I will take a lot of skills away with me, all of which I want to continue to develop in the next module.


Time 13:09 16th Feb 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment