Wednesday 2 February 2011



After spending a lot more time on the image brief last week than is supposed to be allocated, I have decided to limit myself to only 3 hours this week. I really enjoy these briefs, but I definitely neglected my animation last week in favor of my essay and the image work. These are my initial vectorized images of my drawings :
These are some vector images I created from my initial drawings. I have chosen to work with this design because I think it will translate across the 20ft distance most clearly because of its strong silhouette. Rather than using flat, fill colours, I used built up areas of lines to create tones so that they aren't too harsh. I also think that this will create an interesting contrast in tone as the light switches become smaller and the black appears denser and less detailed. 
I think that the words 'on' and 'off' help to clarify what the object is. I suspect that this may be an issue when I print out a2, as I dont know how important it will be for this part to be legible. I think it works better with the relevent word in black and this will act as another visual indicator as to whether the switch is on or off when looked at from a distance.


I think that the visual impact on the composition the words have is the significant factor, rather than what the words say, so I have tried simply blocking out this area....
I don't think it has nearly the same affect, so I am going to stick with the words despite my doubt. I need to make quick decisions due to the time restrictions really.







I really like how this looks on black, however due to the way that I have created the files, there is no global way of changing all the black to white, which is my mistake. 



This is what it would look like if I changed each switch individually :


Experimentation with boarders....
I thought, if I cant have the dynamic black background, perhaps a boarder could have a similar effect....





I wanted to add some numbers and sight indicators to add some authenticity to the design. I think that without them, it could just look like an arrangement.



This is my final design for now.... I have reduced the size of the numbers which I think looks better.


Stock....
I want to print on bulky newsprint or something antique in colour to fit in with the old fashioned light switch I have based my design on.

Time permitting...
I want to reverse the colours manually so I can see what it would look like with a black background. I would also like to add a small motif/logo to the centre bottom of the page.

I could also potentially add another row of switches to see what it looks like, but I've just passed 3 1/2 hours so I'm going to leave it till the morning where I might be able to revisit it before my 10am print session.

No comments:

Post a Comment