Tuesday 25 January 2011

Wallpaper designs for Image brief...

Now I know that for this 'Type as Image' brief we were specifically told not to use or create image as an accompaniement, however for my A1 design for the quote "accidental tearing", I wanted to tear the words out of actual wallpaper and then scan in the hand crafted piece to reprint.... after some research into sourcing appropriate wallpaper, I go to thinking why dont I just design my own? I had a very vivid image in my head of what I wanted to achieve, so I saw no better solution than creating my own. Also, I am interested in pattern, and other than some independant experimentation with wrapping paper designs over the christmas break, I have not had the oppertunity to experiment with it...
I started by drawing my design by hand. I based it almost entirely on imagination for starters, obviously influenced by wallpapers that I have seen in the past, but the shapes were just drawn freehand as it was really just an experiment....


I vectorized the line drawing in illustrator and experimented with colour, as well as repeating and reflecting the pattern to build it up. I used guides and rulers to make sure the pattern was positioned as equally as possible...

I felt the pattern worked better in white :


gradually I repeated and arranged the pattern :



I created each row as a separate layer to make them easier to move about, the second half i was able to create as one single layer, although this made the program struggle and it became extremely slow to move. I am told now that there is in fact a function within the illustrator program that allows it to generate the pattern for you. I don't know whether this would be easier than what I did, but it's worth looking into.


I particularly like this pink colour as I like the subtlety of it....

Other colour experimentation :




This colour works well on the print outs :



I have chosen the more neutral blue and pink colours to print, as I feel that they wont distract from the words ripped out of them.

I have designed my wallpaper for an a1 scale, although I am printing out the piece to craft on a3 because this will be easier to manipulate by hand can be blown up to good quality a1 so long as I use the scanner in digital print.



No comments:

Post a Comment