Monday 17 January 2011

starting point for Tim Dowling article illustration

....I created this image using found exising images (see context blog). I wanted to create an image of the writer himself, Tim Dowling sleeping. He talks in his article about one of his new years resolutions being to sleep more and I felt it appropriate to play on this. I was initally trying to combine a number of different resolutions he had mentioned and worried that focussing on one element was too uninformative about the theme of the article. However, on reflection, I think that creating an image that features all of these random things is just as vague as focussing on one. I want to create a visually engaging image that attracts the readers attention and as a result of this intrigues them and makes them want to read the article.
I used a found image of Tim Dowlings face and merged it onto the sleeping body. His eyes were open, so I had to use another found image of someone's closed eyes and merged them on top of his! I have not really ever used photoshop in this way but I am really pleased with the result. I worry that in print it may look less convincing, so I plan to print a copy tomorrow to allow for changes! This is only part of the final illustration... I want to develop this perhaps adding a colour and some 'zzzzzz' to imply sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment