Monday 10 January 2011

SILENT MOVIE BRIEF

Final four chosen animations and evaluation.....

1) "CRUNCH"

After a lot of tweaking and a lot of layers, I finally achieved the effect that I wanted from this animation. I think that the fade out which I added at the last minute helps to round of the animation, rather than ending with the remains of the word. This issue arose when I reduced the amount of frames so that the animated bites were at a more reasonable speed for the length of the animation. I never added colour because I like the simplicity of the black and white.

4) "CRUNCH"

I think that this is one of my most successful attempts because I think it is a lot more interesting and complete as an animation. I like how it has a beginning, middle and an end. However I think that the beginning could have started off as a solid block rather than a jagged shape. I wanted to introduce another colour, but I also wanted to make it in-keeping with the flickering camera style, so I added just small flashes of colour. I chose a bright, fresh green colour because I think it gives the visual idea of a fresh green apple which in my mind is synonymous with the sound 'crunch'.

3) "STRETCH"

I think that the time spent researching as discovering how to tweak and stretch these letters is not reflected in the quality of the end result of this animation. This is my least favourite of the 4 animations I chose as my final pieces, although I think that the font works well with the word and the desired effect was created. In retrospect I think that colour could have added a bit more depth and excitement, perhaps coloured objects that moved about at the same speed, and same style as the way that the word animates.

4) "BOUNCE"

In this animation I slightly broke the rules of not using image, but I love the effect that was created by the bouncing ball rather than the bouncing word or letters themselves. It took me a lot longer to animate this shape than it did with any of the words, but I think it was worth it in terms of preparing myself for the next part of the brief in which I definitely want to work more with image. I chose this sky blue colour because I felt that it was fun and lighthearted like the word 'bounce' and also gives the imagery of a ball bouncing high into the sky. I think the most successful element of this animation is the realization of distance of the ball in realation to the viewer. I found this particularly difficult; using scale and position to give the impression of distance rather than being able to move the camera or object like you would if you were filming.

1 comment:

  1. Formative Feedback.

    - Consider the colour of the green flash, it looks like a digital error. Try something else within the composition to make green.
    -There is an image with in 'bounce' - the circle.
    - Experiment with the colours in 'bounce'
    - Slow bounce down to make it seem more realistic
    - In Crunch 1 the letters jump at the begining, look at position or anchors

    ReplyDelete