Monday 24 January 2011

"Real Life"

My first quote was taken from the Guardian article "Relationship Maths". My concept is based around the saying 'Life isn't all lollipops and candy canes'. I like the idea of creating a typeface that contradicts the subject of the text. I think that 'real life' is a phrase used more by children than adults, as it suggests an element of imagination going on in order to reflect back to reality. I want to embody this dreamlike quality in the type I create. I have taken my inspiration from other playful styles of typeface I have looked at as well as including things like candy canes, hearts and rainbows.

This is my first attempt which was just a rough sketch. I like the texture and detail built up by the close together lines, but I think it would work better if I had based it on an existing typeface to start with.
I decided to loosly base this design on the typeface 'Lobster' which I really love as an image based font. Here I have tried to create a fun, playful image based type... I wasn't happy with both of the 'E's... 





I re-designed the 'E's, giving them a more regular pattern as I think it needed some systematic, more structured patterns to balance out the more irregular hand rendered style patterns....





This design was inspired by candy canes... I love it as a typeface on it's own, although it doesn't really work as it is in context with the brief....

I tried out this candy cane colour scheme... I was going to use red and white, but I think that will give the impression of a barbers shop!



I have also tried out a mulicolour rainbow style colour scheme.... Its hard to tell which works best without seeing the whole phrase like this...

Candy cane without black:


Multicoloured without black :


Full candy cane design :

With pale pink background  : 


Full rainbow design :


Rainbow design without black :


More muted colours :




Muted with grey replacing black.....

No comments:

Post a Comment