Sunday 2 January 2011

Completed first attempt of new second "crunch" experiment....

There are many issues with this animation :

1) The transparency of the layers
2) The transparency of the erased areas which seems to vary creating this kind of cloud effect, rather than nibbling...
3) The bites at the beginning seem too large in comparison to the bites towards the end.

The transparency of the layers I think could be adjusted, I'm not sure that this effect may have been caused by the transparencies if the photoshop layers not being reset to 100% before importing the file onto AfterEffects....
It could however just be the nature of the eraser tool... which I have had similar problems with before.

I think that the bite marks at the beginning of the animation look too cartoonish and large. I would like the entire black block to be 'nibbled' away more gradually, but I'm not sure that the time limitation on the animation may make this incomprehensible to the viewer...
I could always try and remove these frames and create a different beginning, or even start it from where it looks more how I wanted it to ; between 2-2.5 seconds.

Athough the bites look like clouds rather than bites, I actually really like the texture that has been created.

The way that the animation kind of jolts and twitches during the playback is not deliberate, but I actually really like the effect it has. It reminds me of the way that an old fashioned film cinema projector wobbles occasionally. Whether it is appropriate or not I think it adds an extra dimension to the animation, making it more visually interesting. If it's something I decide to try and get rid of, by making sure the layers are better lined up, then I could use it to create this old-fashioned cinema effect for something else in the future...

In a way I actually think that the white area in some ways is reminiscent of paper being scrunched up... which I think with the absence of sound does covey that "crunch"... this is something that I could develop with more direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment