Friday 19 November 2010

MY OWN PROMOTIONAL MAGAZINE LAYOUT

I have designed a 5 column grid to house the layout for my redesign of the Stylist layout. Although I am re-using some of the content and layout from the original layout, I think having to lay it out from scratch is a really good exercise for me. This idea came out of me really enjoying the designing for my boards and really getting to grips with the software. I LOVE indesign now. I love the flexibility it gives you in terms of arranging the images and adjusting the sizes before you have to commit to the final design and resize them. The ablility to link the files and then package them makes the whole process so much easier. I love working to a structure like a grid beacause I hate it when things arent alined (I know you can add rulers in the other pieces of software but grids are much simpler). I also love the flexibility with typography that InDesign offers for example altering the kerning and degree of slant.


experiment with dotted line (1)
experiment with dotted line (2)
I think the layout really works well because of the fact that you dont really notice the product straight away : this was my intention. I wanted it to look real, and in a magazine like this with a page of products the viewer is required to browse rather than be guided from element to element. The one subtle grabber is the 'editors choice' stamp that I photoshopped onto my product. The orange circle does grasp the viewers attention but not aggresively. I place the image in the central row deliberately as I wanted to be amongst the other images.


No comments:

Post a Comment