Friday 19 November 2010

MEMORY STICK DRAMA

WHAT A DAY!! :( Last night I finished my final board designs on InDesign ready for print today at 3pm, only to find that when I tried to open the file this morning it was corrupted and would not open. After no avail I asked the bubble and they had no solution and thought that it could be to do with working from files saved to my desktop or a communication error between the computer and my memory stick. I remained calm - thank god I'd come in at 8am! - and redid them as best I could taking into account all the advice from the bubble. Luckily I had taken screen shots throughout the design process so I could refer to them. I couldn't believe it when around 11am this happened again. At this point I began to worry that I wouldn't be ready for print at 3pm. By this point I was less phased about redoing the boards - I was getting quicker each time at least! So finally finished them with barely a minute to spare... I was annoyed because they weren't perfect, but at least they were done! I took the files to print only to find THE SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED! Thankfully I had left the file open in the studio so I was able to copy and paste the layouts into illustrator and save them. These all opened BAR ONE! James in digital print informed me that the particular type of memory stick I had been using, which I bought from the library only the day before, had to be recalled last year because they caused all kinds of issues. I have tested his theory by using his memory stick to transfer my files, and sure enough, no issues what so ever. I am aware that this is not the fault of the library, but I am going to let them know the issues I have encountered because I wouldn't wish them on anyone else! Thankfully I allowed an excessive amount of time to finish my boards so I was able to get them completed for the deadline, but I day to these issues and it could have been a lot worse. On the up side, I could look at it as an exercise in improving my indesign skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment