Thursday 4 November 2010

ideas following progress crit

Following the feedback I received from the progress crit I have come to some decisions for the artwork of my designs. I have been struggling to determine the mood and style of my products and packaging... in hindsight I think that this was due to my choice of target audience which I think I had not defined clearly enough. I accept that at this stage in the project it is fairly frightening that this has only just come to light following the crit, and I am pretty annoyed at myself for not re-assessing it myself sooner. However, I am going to take a risk, and alter my target audience and have faith in the fact that I if I really push myself to the limits in terms of time I will achieve a much better end result. I want to change my target audience from the underground student culture of Leeds to middle class housewives. I am going to promote dumpster diving through the marketing, sale and distribution of rubber washing up gloves. These are an essential for almost all households, thus creating a broad marketing possibility. I want to subtly promote dumpster diving to those who buy the gloves, perhaps inside the packaging, only visible once purchased. I like the idea of playing on the concept of the 50's stereotypical 'tortured' housewife because I like the design opportunities this opens up and I think it creates a sense of irony for what could otherwise be perceived as a rather sexist marketing ploy. For this project I wanted to try to attempt to design something fairly classy and sophisticated that would be attractive, further creating a sense of irony around the thing that I am actually promoting, but attracting a less likely audience. I like the idea of my target audience being these bored 'desperate housewives' in search of an adrenalin rush to satisfy their rebellious side.

No comments:

Post a Comment