Tuesday 23 November 2010

END OF MODULE SELF EVALUATION


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
Module Code
OUGD201
Module Title
'What is god?'
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION
NAME
Polly Williams
BLOG. ADDRESS  
http://pa-williams0912.blogspot.com/


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughout this module I have considerably developed my software skills. Due to the length of the project I have allowed myself to experiment with the programs, particularly InDesign and Photoshop, where normally I would have avoided for feeling worried that I would not have been able to achieve good results. After spending hours and hours working with it I feel far more competent and now fee like it really will aid my future work. I also feel that my research skills have developed; I think having such a long brief allowed me to become more thorough with my research and ask more questions.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I think my research has been a lot more thorough this module, and a lot more broad. Being more open minded has allowed me to be more adventurous with my designs.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I feel I have developed a good understanding of the industrial print process from my independent research and now feel fairly confident with preparing a document for print, and designing it with this in mind. I also feel that from a combination of the typography workshops and my hours of battling with InDesign, I feel that my understanding and ability to produce better layout has improved to the point where I feel it's and are that I want to experiment with more. I think that the strongest elements of this project were my boards and magazine layouts. I have also become much more capable with photoshop, for example the shop window display. I'd like to work with it more in the future, particularly with image, pattern and illustrative type.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

In my opinion, the main weaknesses in my work this module were some of my design descisions; from being ill for only a matter of days I hastilly made descisions about the design of my packaging that I now see fault in. I designed the artwork before finalizing what net I wanted to use, rather than designing with that in mind. I also feel that I rushed the packaging of the torch and the gloves. In hindsight I think that I had enough time to think these elements through more carefully. I feel that I stepped into my comfort zone in terms of the style of the artwork because I was ill and I panicked about not having enough time. I don't think I investigated a wide enough variety of stock possiblities; I found the most appropriate stock for what I had designed, but in the future I think I should have explored a range of stocks before starting the design process.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1)Explore a broader range of stocks earlier on in the design process.
2)Design throughout the entirety of the project, rather than starting halfway through.
3)Explore a broader range of packaging solutions before making descisions.
4)Be more adventurous with the term 'packaging' - it doesn't mean 'nets'.
5)Don't make irational descisions based on fear; the possibilites are almost endless if you manage your time well and use what you have to its full potential.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 5
Punctuality   5
Motivation   5
Commitment  5
Quantity of work produced 4
Quality of work produced 3
Contribution to the group 3

No comments:

Post a Comment