Monday 15 March 2010

Visual Language_WHAT IS A LINE? Sketchbook Images

In this brief I am working with the statement "A mark indicating position, connection or boundaries." I chose to look specifically at the way in which we perceive, interpret and deliver lines. I have been building a collection of line drawings, day by day. I think that this could produce some interesting results, particularly when I take it hitch hiking across France and Spain to Morocco over Easter. Most of the drawings are blind drawings. I think that this will create more interesting results, really focussing on visual interpretation of the subject rather than thinking about composition of the line on the page.
These are some of the sketches I think work the most:

My fountain pen died on the train so I experimented with using just the cartridge and using the dried out nib of the pen to manipulate the ink slightly in areas to create detail.
The lines in this drawing are slightly more geometric which i think is interesting considering the way I was drawing previously. I like the way that the image fills the space.
I think that the scribbly lack of perfection in this image works well, and the facial proportions are fairly accurate in comparison to some of my previous drawings.

I like the way that this image is sort of contained within itself on the page, almost in a circle composition.


No comments:

Post a Comment