Sunday 7 March 2010

Book Fair Brief

I decided on a simplistic imagination based. ink and watercolour, drawing for my entry to the book fair, which I am crafting as a poster which folds out of a book. This decision was based n the money making element of the book fair; I felt it would be best to play to my strengths in order to have chance of making profit.
Each section of the poster will appear on each of the pages, leading the reader in gradually by only showing them a glimpse at a time before they can unfold the poster itself.
I have experimented with two different kinds of stock; both different thicknesses of bulky newsprint. I chose this stock because I like the colour and the way that the ink sits on it. The less bulky stock does the image, although the thicker one is slightly more sturdy and looks better while the book is folded up in its initial state. I am probably going to use the thinner stock purely to be more cost effective as there is so little in it.
I chose to vary the width of the line, particularly on the skirt to suggest movement. I think the areas where the lines are very close to each other work really work, creating areas of more density. I tried to convey the idea of the line 'travelling' using colour, so I added the red line which kind of filters through the smoke and trickles down the womans back. I especially like the break between the end of the cigarette and the first puff of smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment