Sunday 24 April 2011

shrimp type

I have chosen to work with the word 'shrimp' alone rather than as part of the full quote. I like the idea of working with the aesthetic of shell fish and crustations as the have a lot of visually interesting elements to them. 

I decided to work from an existing typeface 'Catalunya Choo Choo NF' which I really love and think would work well with the shapes and lines I want to incorporate.

Below is the initial line drawing I have created. I first drew it in pencil then went over it with black ink. It was a lot more difficult to get the aesthetic that I was aiming for. I want it to be clear what the concept of the type is without necessarily reading the meaning of the word, which I found difficult at first - getting the right balance between tell tale elements like the segmented body, legs and antenna and the legibility of each letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment