Wednesday 4 November 2009

No News is Good News- Poster Designs

For the next part of this project we a have been asked to produce 3 poster designs; one entirely image, one entirely type, and the other a combination of the two. As I am looking at the revival of embroidery and other needlecrafts, I wanted to focus on getting this concept accross as a straightforward message i.e. 'Sewing is making a comeback'.
I want the message to be punchy, but also to leave an element of intrigue. I figure that the target audience for theses posters would generally be the younger generations, as older generations would be more familiar embroidery and other such crafts already. I wanted the posters to inspire the audience.
Some examples of the slogans I came up with initially include;
'Try your hand at something old', 'Sewing's in', 'Stitch yourself happy'. It wasn't until I was reflecting on my research when I was the expression 'S.I.Y' (Sew it yourself) in an article about the new found interest/need for recylcing and repairing in this recession. I liked the way that the writer was playing on the concept of D.I.Y, stereotypically a man's area, while 'S.I.Y', as it's now becoming known, I suppose, would stereotypically be imagined as a womans'.
I think that the slogan 'SEW IT YOURSELF' has the impact that I am looking for. It doesn't explain the facts and figures; how many sewing machines Tesco are selling per minute, but it's intriguing, and the message is clear. I imagine someone to see at as they walk by and perhaps think 'What's stopping me from getting out a needle and thread?'.

For the type based poster I have been looking at embroidery style fonts. The way that they are constructed is actually quite systematic in the way that the letters are formed out of cross stitches; as though you were working with embroidery fabric. I like the idea of building some geometric shapes behind the font in an effort to merge a futuristic, modern font with the old fashioned, comfortable embroidery font. I think that this will represent the modernisation of embroidery, and refresh peoples perspectives of it.

For the image based poster, I have really ben struggling in coming up with a high impact design without the aid of any wording whatsover. I though I would enjoy designing this one the most as my work is normally very illustrative and image orientated. I wanted to try and use symbolic items from needlecrafts; such as knitting needles, wool, thread etc. However, I was struggling in trying to put my message accross with the impact I desire. I thought about creating some illustrations, or photographs involving people to involve a character and make the image more personal. My favourite of these ideas is to have a stereotypical youth, perhaps slightly thuggish looking, but if you were to look more carefully at the image, see that he is in fact knitting. I like the way this idea defies all the sterotypes that most people would associate with knitting i.e. women in particular, and elderly people. My concerns are that putting a twist of humour wont actually aid the posters imapct in any way; the message isn't supposed to be a joke!

I've begun looking at examples of embroidery and pattern which I intend to try to manipulate to create something visually interesting. The colour restrictions might make this difficult, but I want to 'modernize' a piece of pretty dated, average looking embroidery by experimenting with composition and bright, eye catching colours.

These are some examples of textured fabrics and patterns that I've been photographing:


















For the thrid design I am encororating fabric and stitch, perhaps in some kind of collage. I came across this font 'PT Sewed' which I love. It imitates a machine stitch, but I think whether you know that or not, it's a really decorative and interesting font:

I want to use this font, potentially hand drawn or actually stitched to give a feeling of something handmade, against a fabric or knitted background depending on what works best. I am also experimenting with buttons and other embroidery related items which I think would add to the composition.


No comments:

Post a Comment