Wednesday 14 October 2009




I looked into using the original Walkman font because I thought this would be appropriate, however the font itself didn't explain what I wanted to about Jamie's personality. Instead I chose the font 'Mamma Gamma'. I like the way that it's playful, approachable and fun without being too complicated; leaving me space to manipulate it.


Mamma Gamma font:

I particularly liked the letter 'g' in this font. It is an incredibly simple concept but I think it is really interesting. This was its circular shape that gave me the idea to experiment with headphones. I think as a symbol they work well to represent the musical element of Jamie's personality. I experimented drawing pairs of headphones mimicking the letter forms of the Mamma Gamma font.



I thought that this idea worked well but it needed some thought into how the actual letterform would be depicted to enable good legibility as well as clear readability. Although I found that this idea worked really well with some of the letters, some were not so easy to translate. I tried experimenting with different sizes and trying to incorporate other items such as an actual cassette player etc, but I personally found this made it too cluttered and it lost the simplicity which I liked about it.



In the end I found that the best way to overcome this issue was to use the cable as a way of actually marking out the letterform. I was still struggling with a few of the letters particularly 'i', and 'j', but found suggestions from the other people in my crit group very helpful. The idea of breaking the headphones apart had crossed my mind, but I hadn't thought it would work, so when it was suggested by someone else I tried it and actually thought it worked quite well!
Other suggestions that came up in the crit were the use of 'play', 'pause', 'stop' etc signs which I really liked and am experimenting with at the moment among other things like colour combinations. Below are some of my resolutions for the final piece.








No comments:

Post a Comment