Wednesday 14 October 2009

Alphabet Soup Part Two

For this brief we were asked to design a full alphabet and glyphs to represent the personality/character of another person from our class selected at random.
My partner is Jamie... from just the first impression is personality comes across as playful, fun, entertaining, he dresses in bright colours, is a huge fan of novelty t-shirts and is very friendly. After asking him a series of questions about his personality, what stood out to me the most was his love of 'cheesy' music; particularly 90's sounds; being 25 he's a proper 90's kid! Also the fact that when asked what his most treasured possession would be, he said his ipod or itunes, deciding that he definitely couldn't live if he lost both! A lot of his answers were funny, he definitely has a sense of humour.

From the information I had, I decided that this font should not be to serious, if not with a novelty element. I wanted to capture his bright and playful personality as well as incorporate some of his personal tastes.

The four words I chose to base his alphabet on were; Cheesy, Loud, Bright and Novelty.
First off I looked into music that he likes and the kind of typography used for there merchandising, such as Beastie Boys, who have a very recognisable logo, and other brands; such as Adidas originals, which focuses on the 90's clothing style, and features bright 90's colours.



I liked the idea of using Jamie's passion for music, so maybe incorporating an image thats is iconically associated with listening to music. The obvious suggestion would be the ipod, however instead I started experimenting with cassettes and cassette players to symbolize the era of music he particularly likes. This idea came to me when he told me the first song he ever bought was 'Bad' by Michael Jackson on cassette!


























No comments:

Post a Comment