Thursday 1 October 2009

Alphabet Soup

This is our first individual brief since we have begun the course. I was given the word 'Duplicate' to visually communicate using 10 letter forms. My initial reaction was to look up the exact meaning of the word; Duplicate n. An identical copy, adj. Identically copied from an original.
I thought first words with similar meanings; alike, corresponding, matching. identical, 'ditto', equivalent, twofold, twin, copy, counterfeit. My first idea was to use the concept of a reflection. I used mirrors and took some photographs to try and communicate the concept of an exact copy; a reflection. This was not as successful as I'd hoped so I went back to the drawing board.






The expression 'Chip off the old block' came into my head. I really liked the imagery I was imagining as a duplicate physically being carved from the original. I did some sketches then chose a font called 'Letters 2' to base the letter shapes on. I chose it because I wanted something chunky and block-like. These are some of my preliminary designs.....



I began with pencil sketches which I then refined with fine black pen. I then filled them in on photoshop because I wanted a smooth flat finish to the coloured areas. I experimented with adobe illustrator for the first time, only getting as far as reworking the outlines. However, the result of this didn't necessarily improve the appearance dramatically, and I liked the hand drawn feel to the letters, making them a bit less serious and more friendly.

I think once I'm more accomplished at using illustrator, I will be able to work more with my drawings.










No comments:

Post a Comment